Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Jumping onto the Carousel

Anyone who knows my daughter knows that life around her, especially in her own milieu, is like a continuous merry-go-round ride. I stepped onto the carousel on Friday afternoon after a massage (a wonderful welcome gift!). Not dizzy yet.

First impressions from this country mouse:

Traffic is a nightmare governed mainly by which driver is most aggressive or has largest vehicle. It is better if I close my eyes.
Dirt road shortcuts are spine-jarring.
Congolese take great care to present themselves well. My mom would approve. So far I have seen no one who looked like they bought my old college sweatshirt from a used clothing market. In fact, the colorful fabrics and highly coordinated outfits of both men and women are a continuous fashion show. They are definitely "all put together."
Houses and gardens are all behind walls, which means I can't enjoying the results of other people's gardens like I can at home.
Hot water, indeed running water, is not a given everywhere.
The Congo River is a big wow from the air and from the riverside cafes.
The people I have met (of course, Stro has told the world I was coming!) have been uniformly warm and welcoming, generous with my baby French, happy to  practice their English.
An umbrella/parasol is essential when walking in the daytime.
The growing climate is so good here the bougainvillea is creeping up the garden wall as I type.
Ceiling fans and a breeze on the screen porch are a gift and much better than the chill of AC.
Download speed on the house wifi is very slow and often fails, which is at the moment why I can't seem to get  photos into the blog.
Stro knows everyone and every restaurant worth going to. There is a surprise.

My first weekend was chock-a-block with a group dinner with the Public Affairs team
and a visiting journalist (native midwesterner from Macomb, IL living in Senegal), a marvelous and fancy welcome dinner at Stro's home, an orientation walk from home to embassy and neighborhood, church services at the chapel of the Little Sisters of the Poor (who run a home for the aged--stay tuned as I intend to visit), brunch on the river, and a swim in the pool at Villa Washington. By Monday afternoon, my schedule for the week was full--invitation to an international women's crafts group, invitation to conduct a discussion of the film "Good Night and Good Luck," African dance class (observer/videographer status), invitation to visit English language classes conducted by a friend in one of the local ministries, and several diplomatic social events, starting with Cameroonian National Day party this evening. Italy's is June 2 and our own 4th of July celebration here will be July 2.

I have made my debut at the Embassy, meeting and greeting (everyone not otherwise engaged) and having lunch yesterday. Photos are not allowed, but let me observe that Stro's corner office looking out on the gardens is lovely. Today is a day for preparing the film discussion and continuing to battle technology so I can show you pictures and do necessary searches for prepping my international social work course for Champlain College in the fall. Then on to the Cameroonian fĂȘte!

A happy whirl with my girl.

1 comment: